- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - August 17, 2021
Student Advisory Council - August 17, 2021
Student Advisory Council
August 17, 2021
The 2021/2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, August 17, 2021, in the Council chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, Florida.
Co-Chairperson Emilee Ellis called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Present were Co-Chairpersons Emilee Ellis and Jacob Phillips, Vice-Chairperson Savannah Sevor, Secretary Edie Pringle, and Members Aliyah Deimeke, Richie Dobbs, Addison Flake, Victoria Hillery, Julia Moon, and Aiden Sperr.
Co-Chairperson Ben Hamilton and Member Callie Cerrato were absent.
Also present were Astronaut High School (AHS) Advisor Christina Cerrato, North Brevard Home School Association (NBHSA) Advisor Julie Pringle, Titusville High School (THS) Advisor Michael Triandafils, City staff liaison Emily Campbell, and Assistant City Clerk Jolynn Donhoff (former City liaison).
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Member Sevor moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting on April 20, 2021, as written. Member Pringle seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Assistant City Attorney Chelsea Farrell highlighted Florida Sunshine Laws and Robert’s Rules of Order.
Welcome 2021-2022 Student Advisory Council (SAC)! – The SAC members, the high school advisors, and the City liaisons introduced themselves and reviewed their involvement with the SAC.
Student Advisory Council’s Purpose and Orientation Packet – Co-Chairperson Ellis facilitated any questions from the Council on the Council’s purpose and the materials provided in the Council’s Orientation Packet (the packet was mailed to members in early August). Assistant City Clerk Donhoff highlighted additional information.
Assignment of Vice-Chairperson and Secretary Positions – Co-Chairperson Ellis facilitated and requested nominations from the Council for the positions of Vice-Chairperson and Secretary (one at a time).
Motion: Member Pringle moved to nominate and appoint Savannah Sevor to the position of Vice-Chairperson. Member Deimeke seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Motion: Co-Chairperson Phillips moved to nominate and appoint Edie Pringle to the position of Secretary. Member Sperr seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
2021/2022 Goals/Recommendations – Co-Chairperson Ellis led the discussion. She reviewed the following three goals (projects) that were identified for the 2021/2022 Council term and requested the Council begin discussing, planning, and taking on individual elective tasks to complete the goals. Discussion and planning for each goal followed (one at a time).
- Host the Community Service Earthwise event in the Fall of 2021.
Secretary Pringle provided background info on the project, which she first suggested in 2020 and submitted the idea in writing to the Florida League of Cities Community Service Project Contest in March 2021 (info distributed). The 2020/2021 Council did not win the contest (contest results released in April 2021); however, the 2021/2022 Council could still host the event none-the-less.
Secretary Pringle felt the project could morph into a beach clean-up project, where the Council and their peers could distribute environmental literature and have a guest speaker attend the event. Discussion ensued on challenges of having a guest speaker at the beach; therefore, Member Pringle would contact the person that she had in mind with Keep Brevard Beautiful (organization) and ask him to be a guest speaker for another Council project.
October 16th or October 23rd of 2021 were the tentative dates identified for the beach clean-up. There was no additional discussion on planning tasks to be completed prior to the event dates.
- Improve the DrinkDriveDie.com Webpage and Initiate Related Projects, such as continue to update the 2008 Last Dance Prom Video.
Co-Chairperson Ellis facilitated and requested nominations for a SAC member(s) that desired being the webmaster and making updates to the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage for the 2021/2022 Council term. Vice-Chairperson Sevor volunteered for the role, with Member Deimeke volunteering to assist or serve as the alternate or back-up webmaster.
Concerning Updating the 2008 Last Dance Prom Video (Anti-drinking & driving theme), the 2020/2021 Council intended for a draft script to be presented to the 2021/2022 Council at this meeting; however, the script was not ready. City staff suggested postponing discussion and planning on the video to the Council’s next regular meeting on September 21, 2021. Staff would invite City Community Relations staff that were familiar with the project.
- Host a Youth Leadership Seminar in Spring of 2022
With the current COVID-19 pandemic presenting concerns to the safety and wellbeing of the public and the spread of the contagious virus, the idea was to host a traditional in-person seminar in 2022; however, if this was not possible, the idea was to host a virtual or internet based seminar. To this, the Council began working from a planning guide on page 6 of the agenda packet.
- Tentative event dates: February 24th or March 3rd, 2022.
- Tentative Location: City staff advised they recently contacted the hospital about the use of the conference facility. The hospital advised the Council or City should submit an application for use of the conference facility, once the Council had identified an event date(s). It was also unknown if the pandemic would cause the hospital to reconsider allowing any events to be held at the hospital several months from now, not knowing if or how the pandemic was affecting the community in 2022.
- Format: combination of keynote speakers and an interactive exercise on Titusville’ growth and ecosystem and tying these concepts into leadership.
- Facilitator: The Council would need to individually research and talk to persons in the community they believed would make an excellent facilitator then report back at the next Council meeting.
- Keynote speakers: The Council would need to individually research and talk to persons in the community they admired as leaders and keynote speakers, then report back at the next Council meeting.
OLD BUSINESS – None.
MEMBER REPORTS –
Vice-Chairperson Sevor requested Council’s consideration to allow her to submit contest materials to the Florida League of Cities, for an upcoming photo contest, and as an additional goal for the 2021/2022 term. There was no objection from the Council.
STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Action items – none.
The following informational items were provided and highlighted, as followed:
- North Brevard Home School Association Advisor - Status
- Council Budget
- Attendance at Meetings – Per Scholarship Policy and City Code
- Polo Shirt Order Form – Collected from any members that brought and completed form
- Media Waiver Release – Collected from any members that brought completed form
- Annual City Board & Commission Appreciation Dinner – Cancelled
- Meeting Agendas & Delivery Methods
- The Council’s regular meeting schedule per City Resolution No. 1-2017. Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary.
City Staff Sustainability and Environmental Planner Rachel Muller advised the Council on a new City sustainability plan that was being drafted. It served to provide ways to reduce the carbon footprint on the environment and other components. To this, Sustainability Planner Muller advised there was a youth component or that the City desired seeking input from the Student Advisory Council to assist the City with drafting this plan. More information would be provided to the Council in September 2021.
Motion: Co-Chairperson Phillips moved to adjourn the meeting at 5:11 p.m. Vice-Chairperson Sevor seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.