- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - September 20, 2022
Student Advisory Council - September 20, 2022
Student Advisory Council
September 20, 2022
The 2022/2023 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, September 20, 2022, in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796.
Co-Chairperson Aliyah Deimeke called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Present were, Co-Chairperson Aliyah Deimeke, Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr, and members Addison Flake, Richie Dobbs, Callie Cerrato, Julia Moon, Victoria Hillery, Cooper Mangini, Julia Curtis and Caydn Fiebig.
Co-Chairperson Savannah Sevor and Vice-Chair Edie Pringle were absent.
Also present was City staff liaison Emily Campbell and Titusville High School Advisor Kathleen Rios.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Co-Chairperson Aiden Sperr moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting on August 16, 2022, as written. Member Julia Moon seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
2022 Florida League of Cities Youth Council Video Competition – The Florida League of Cities (FLC) announced the 2022 Youth Council Video Competition, the goal of the competition was to provide a way for Florida’s youth councils to showcase their ideas, creativity and commitment to their communities. The deadline is Friday, November 18, 2022.
Council came to a consensus that they did not want to participate in the 2022 Florida League of Cities Youth Council Video Competition.
OLD BUSINESS –
Hold a Mock City Council meeting in Spring of 2023 - Co-Chairperson Aliyah Deimeke advised council that the request was to review the purpose of this event for new members. Staff played part of the 2016 Mock City Council video and use the attached planning sheets to: Select the main event date and four preparation meeting dates using the attached public-school calendar. Use the school calendar to avoid the dates of mid-term exams or major extracurricular school activities and approve the application and its deadline.
Council discussed their calendars and what dates they were available.
Motion: Member Julia Moon moved to approve March 9, 2023 as the date for the Mock City Council. Co-Chair Aiden Sperr seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Motion: Member Julia Moon moved to approve February 23, 2023 as the date for the Dress Rehearsal for the Mock City Council. Co-Chair Aiden Sperr seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Council also came to a consensus for the Participant Orientation Meeting/Special SAC Meeting to be held on January 19, 2023 following the Shadow Weeks that were from January 26, 2022 through February 19, 2022.
Staff Liaison Emily Campbell provided an example of an application for the Mock City Council for approval.
Co-Chair Aiden Sperr recommended that the word count for the writing portion be reduced to 150 words. Council agreed and Staff Liaison stated that she would update the application and would provide it at the October 18, 2022 meeting.
Improve the DrinkDriveDie.com Webpage and continue to update The Last Dance Video – Review The Last Dance Video script, Senior Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin will be available for questions. If desired, discuss or provide your Council’s webmaster Vice-Chairperson Sevor direction to enhance DrinkDriveDie.com
Senior Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin reviewed The Last Dance Video script with the new members and the Next Steps for the filming, beginning with a casting call. Council decided the November 9, 2022 and November 10, 2022 would be the dates for the casting call.
Host a beach cleanup at Playalinda Beach – Last year’s Council held the beach cleanup on Saturday, November 13, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. Discuss dates and take on assignments to host the project.
Council came to a consensus to table this item because Vice-Chair Edie Pringle was absent and she was the member in contact with Canaveral National Seashore.
MEMBER REPORTS – None.
STAFF LIASON REPORT
Action items: None.
- Council Budget – For your information: the available funding for SAC projects (Projects account nos. GFCC01 and GFCC04) is included in this agenda packet. (Page 39)
- Polo Shirt Order Form – Please submit your order form and shirt size to the City Staff liaison, Emily Campbell (form provided in the orientation packet). Please note students may wish to order a t-shirt, but which is the student’s financial responsibility.
- Media Waiver Release – If you have not done so, please submit your completed form (included in the orientation packet) to City staff Liaison Emily Campbell.
- City’s Annual Board & Commission Appreciation Dinner – Save the date. Tentatively scheduled on October 6, 2022 at 6PM, at the Indian River Preserve in Mims, FL. You may bring one guest. Invitation forthcoming.
- The Longest Table Event – Staff Liasion Emily Campbell contacted the Titusville Chamber of Commerce regarding the longest Table Event, they are not sure if they will be doing that this year they will update me if they are.
- Meeting Agendas & Delivery Methods – Following the first SAC meeting on August 16, 2022, the monthly meeting agenda will be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each meeting; however, emails are sometimes undeliverable. To this, it is each SAC Member’s responsibility to get and review meeting agendas prior to your meetings.
Another option - pick-up hardcopy of the SAC meeting agenda from City Hall (Information Desk). A hardcopy of the agenda will also be available at meetings.
Reminder your Council’s regular meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month
at 4PM, August through April, at Titusville City Hall.
Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary.
(City of Titusville Resolution 1-2017).
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 4:57 p.m.