- Historic Preservation Board
- February 6, 2023
February 6, 2023
The Historic Preservation Board (HPB) of the City of Titusville, Florida met in regular session at City Hall in the Council Chamber, located at 555 South Washington Avenue on Monday, February 6, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.
Chairman Kiesel called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m. Present were Vice Chairman Petyk, Secretary Adams, Member Shifalo, Member Gaetjens, Member Foster, Member Jonas and Alternate Member Davis. Alternate Member Crofton was absent. Also attending was Redevelopment Planner Tim Ford and Recording Secretary Kim Amick.
Member Shifalo motioned to approve the minutes from the January 3, 2023. Vice-Chairman Petyk seconded. There was a unanimous voice vote in favor.
Petitions & Request
Approval of the draft letter to owners of contributing historic resources about the approval process for making alterations to their contributing historic resources and a recommendation to submit the letter to the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) for its advisability and input on sending the letter to contributing historic structure property owner, and obtaining the CRA’s thoughts on preservation of the Downtown Historic District.
Chairman Kiesel gave an overview of this item.
Member Foster made a motion to send it to CRA for their approval or any input.
Mr. Ford stated Staff is of the opinion that it can be sent to them but would prefer you don’t present it until the March meeting when the guidelines will most likely be on the agenda.
Member Foster rescinded her motion.
Member Foster made a motion that Chairman Kiesel present the letter to CRA at their March meeting to coincide with the guidelines. Secretary Adams seconded.
Roll call was as follows
Secretary Foster Yes
Member Gaetjens Yes
Member Adams Yes
Member Jonas Yes
Vice-Chairman Petyk Yes
Member Shifalo Yes
Chairman Kiesel Yes
Discussion and Direction on holding a Historic Preservation Annual Workshop in May, 2023.
The following were discussed regarding the HPB Workshop:
- The draft Architectural Design Guidelines will be the theme of the workshop.
- Tentative date for the Workshop, Thursday, May 18th, pending confirmation that the Council Chambers are available, from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
- It was requested to see if JMT can attend the workshop to talk about the guidelines.
- An invitation to City Council members is needed.
- The Historic Preservation Month Proclamation needs to be done at the April 25th 5:30 City Council meeting. The Board will attend.
- Notices should be sent out via social media, City web page and news release. Don’t put flyers in water/sewer bills.
- Notices should be sent to all CRA property owners.
- Flyers can be delivered to CRA businesses and asked to post in their windows.
- The Historic Designation boards should be posted in the lobby the month of May. Please ask for permission.
- A larger version of the flyer should be put in the lobby as well.
Mr. Ford stated there is a copy of the budget attached.
Discussion followed on S&ME’s costs and concern about how expensive designations are and how much funding is left for the rest of the year.
Mr. Ford informed the Board that the City piggy backs with the City of Melbourne’s contract and it is pretty much the going rate. He stated it could go back out for bid when the contract expires but the City has not had much interest from consultants bidding.
Adjournment 1:34 pm