- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - September 19, 2023
Student Advisory Council - September 19, 2023
City of Titusville
STUDENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Tuesday, September 19, 2023, 4:00 p.m.
Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville, FL 32796
Any person who decides to appeal any decision of the Student Advisory Council with respect to any matter considered at this meeting will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose, may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings be made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based. The City desires to accommodate persons with disabilities. Accordingly, any physically handicapped persons, pursuant to Chamber 286.26 Florida Statutes, should, at least 48 hours prior to the meeting, submit a written request to the chairpersons that the physically handicapped person desires to attend the meeting.
I. CALL TO ORDER - Co-Chairperson Edie Pringle (ACE)
II. DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM
III. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of August 15, 2023. (Page 3)
V. NEW BUSINESS
A. 2023 Florida League of Cities Youth Council Video Competition – The Florida League of Cities (FLC) announced the 2023 Youth Council Video Competition, the goal of the competition was to provide a way for Florida’s youth councils to showcase their ideas, creativity and commitment to their communities. The deadline is Friday, November 10, 2023. (page 7)
The nomination must include:
- The YouTube link to your video, up to 5 minutes long, that the judges can view. (No other link will be accepted.)
- A 250-words or less summary of your video.
- A letter of recommendation from the Mayor, Manager, Clerk or a Council Member/ Commissioner.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
- Host a beach cleanup at Playalinda Beach – In August, your Council decided to hold a beach clean-up on November 18, 2023. Continue planning and take on assignments to host the project. (Example tasks: Permission with Canaveral National Seashore---a previous task with a prior beach clean-up (who is doing this?). Advertising at your schools? Trash bags? Bottled water for guests (if desired)? Start and end times, etc.?) (Page 9)
- Host a Youth Leadership Seminar in Spring of 2024 – Continue planning using the planning guide in the meeting agenda packet. Take on assignments. (Page 10)
VII. MEMBER REPORTS – Student Advisory Council (SAC) Members may individually share info they feel may benefit other SAC members, the community, etc.
VIII. STAFF LIAISON REPORT
- Action items – none.
- Informational Items:
- Council Budget – For your information: the available funding for SAC projects (Projects account nos. GFCC01 and GFCC04) is included in this agenda packet. (Page 14)
- Polo Shirt Order Form – Please submit your order form and shirt size to the City Staff liaison, Emily Campbell (form provided in the orientation packet). Please note students may wish to order a t-shirt, but which is the student’s financial responsibility.
- Media Waiver Release – If you have not done so, please submit your completed form (included in the orientation packet) to City staff Liaison Emily Campbell.
- City’s Annual Board & Commission Appreciation Dinner – Save the date. Tentatively scheduled on October 26, 2023 at 6PM, at the Indian River Preserve in Mims, FL. You may bring one guest. Invitation forthcoming.
- Meeting Agendas & Delivery Methods – Following the first SAC meeting on August 15, 2023, the monthly meeting agenda will be emailed to you at least five (5) calendar days prior to each meeting; however, emails are sometimes undeliverable. To this, it is each SAC Member’s responsibility to get and review meeting agendas prior to your meetings.
Another option - pick-up hardcopy of the SAC meeting agenda from City Hall (Information Desk). A hardcopy of the agenda will also be available at meetings.
Reminder your Council’s regular meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month
at 4PM, August through April, at Titusville City Hall.
Special meetings may be scheduled as necessary.
(City of Titusville Resolution 1-2017).