- Student Advisory Council
- Student Advisory Council - February 18, 2020
Student Advisory Council - February 18, 2020
Student Advisory Council
February 18, 2020
The 2019/2020 Student Advisory Council (SAC) met in regular session on Tuesday, February 18, 2020 in the Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 555 South Washington Avenue, Titusville, Florida. Vice-Chairperson Caleb Phillips called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m. Present were Co-Chairpersons Isabella Almiñana and Simon Recicar, Vice-Chairperson Caleb Phillips, and Members Aliyah Deimeke, Emilee Ellis, Isaac Gutman, Ben Hamilton, Jacob Phillips, Savannah Sevor, and Aiden Sperr. Staff Liaison’s Debbie Denman and Jolynn Donhoff was also present. Co-Chairperson Josiah Johnson and Secretary Taylor Batson were absent.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC PRESENT – None.
Co-Chairperson Recicar moved to approve the minutes of the regular Student Advisory Council (SAC) meeting of January 21, 2020, as submitted. Member J. Phillips seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
NEW BUSINESS – None.
Improve the DrinkDriveDie.com webpage and initiate related projects, such as updating the 2008 The Last Dance Prom Video – Vice-Chairperson C. Phillips advised that the request was to receive the status of having a rough draft of the video’s script. The goal was to have a rough script reviewed by the SAC members and approved by the SAC meeting on April 21, 2020. In January 2020, Secretary Batson volunteered to act as a co-screenwriter with Vice-Chairperson C. Phillips, if Co-Chairperson Almiñana was no longer available.
Co-Chairperson Almiñana advised that she was available and wanted to continue as a co-screenwriter. The co-screenwriters agreed to meet on Thursdays, February 27, 2020 and March 5, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. to begin developing the script for the video.
Chamber of Commerce 2020 Longest Table Event – Vice-Chairperson C. Phillips introduced Chamber of Commerce President Marcia Gaedcke, who provided details on the cost, location, and how the Student Advisory Council (SAC) could assist the Chamber of Commerce with the 2020 Longest Table. The event was scheduled on Friday, February 28, 2020, at 6 p.m., at the Julia Street Parking Lot (in the historic downtown area).
After some discussion, it was agreed that SAC Members would arrive to the event at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2020, to assist with the set-up for the event and prepare for their role of leading the dinner’s ice-breaker activity with the dinner guests. SAC Members would also wear their new, dark blue, SAC polo shirts, which were distributed to every member at the meeting (except Batson and Johnson, who were absent).
Next, Ms. Gaedcke requested a list of the SAC members that would attend the event (as indicated by the members at the meeting), which included: Aiden Sperr, Simon Recicar, Isabella Alminana, Isaac Gutman, Emilee Ellis, Ben Hamilton, and Aliyah Deimeke.
It was unknown if Taylor Batson and Josiah Johnson would attend, since they were absent.
Jacob Phillips, and Savannah Sevor notified staff and indicated they were not available to assist with the Longest Table dinner on February 28, 2020.
Jacob Phillips was unsure whether he would attend the Longest Table dinner (correction made by Member C. Phillips at the regular Student Advisory Council meeting on March 10, 2020).
Sr. Media Specialist Kurtis Korwin was present and advised that he would be able to meet on Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. and March 5, 2020 to begin assisting the SAC with developing the script for the new and improved The Last Dance Prom Video.
Host a Leadership Seminar (Event date February 27, 2020) – City Planner (and seminar co-facilitator) Mr. Eddy Galindo provided a preview and live demonstration of the seminar’s main activity (create a model city) and the different scenarios. Co-facilitator and volunteer Geo Ropert and co-facilitator Eddy Galindo agreed to work together to lead the seminar’s guests through the main activity. Historically, Mr. Ropert had facilitated prior seminars, where he lead the main activity and discussed soft and inspiring concepts related to leadership.
For the 2020 leadership seminar, the SAC Members agreed that City Planner Eddy Galindo would introduce the model city activity and then Mr. Ropert would discuss leadership values and layout the premise of the activity.
Member Sevor provided two additional door prizes and advised she would follow-up with a donation offer from a local Italian ice business. Co-Chairperson Recicar provided $50.00 from his family to be used as necessary for the seminar. Vice-Chairperson C. Phillips would contact Kim’s Donuts and Member Gutman would contact Dunkin Donuts to seek additional donations to assist with breakfast at the event.
Co-Chairperson Recicar moved to authorize a maximum of $50.00 from the general fund to be used, if needed, for supplies for the Leadership Seminar. Member J. Phillips seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
Liaison Donhoff reviewed the planning guide included in the agenda packet and confirmed logistics, timelines, assigned roles, and scripts for the day.
Annual Report to City Council – Vice-Chairperson C. Phillips highlighted the list of SAC members scheduled to write and present the Annual Report to City Council on April 28, 2020 (6:30 p.m.) as followed:
- Introduction - (Staff would update the intro letter (template) – ALMIŃANA would present.
- Host a Leadership Seminar –SEVOR (Write and Present)
- Participate or organize a beach clean-up – BATSON (Tentative: Write and Present)
- Support the Chamber of Commerce with hosting the 2020 Longest Table Event -
HAMILTON (Write and Present)
- Improve the DrinkDriveDie webpage and initiate related projects, such as updating the 2008 Last Dance Prom Video – C. PHILLIPS (Write and Present)
- Conclusion and next year’s goals (see note immediately below) – RECICAR (Write and Present)
- Reminder: By April 2020, SAC must cement 2-4 goals for the SAC 2020/2021 term, which RECICAR will announce in the conclusion of your Annual Report.
Liaison Donhoff advised that each SAC member’s individual report must be emailed to her by/before April 1, 2020.
MEMBER REPORTS – None
STAFF LIAISON REPORT
Action items: None
Staff Liaison Donhoff highlighted the Staff Liaison Report, as followed:
1. Scholarship Award Policy – By March 1st, Senior (12th grade) SAC members must submit an application for the accrued scholarship award to City staff liaisons, with prior annual attest statements no later than March 1st of the year of your graduation. This form was provided in your Council’s annual orientation & welcome packet.
2. 2020/2021 SAC Council Member Appointments – Att. High School Advisors - By April 3, 2020, nominations for students that would serve on the 2020/2021 Student Advisory Council (SAC) were due from the high schools. These nominations would be confirmed or considered by the Titusville City Council on April 28, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
3. Meeting Agendas (Reminder) – The SAC’s monthly meeting agendas were emailed to SAC members at least five (5) calendar days prior to each SAC meeting. City liaisons typically had difficulty with one or two email addresses. Members were invited to stop at City Hall and pick-up a hardcopy prior to the SAC’s meetings. Additionally, City staff posts the items on the SAC’s agendas at www.titusville.com, but not the full meeting agenda packet.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 5:08 p.m.