September 1, 2020 Minutes

 

The Historic Preservation Board (HPB) of the City of Titusville, Florida met in regular session in the Council Chamber at City Hall, located at 555 South Washington Avenue on Tuesday, September 01, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.

 

XXX

 

Chairman Kiesel called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m.  Present were Secretary Adams, Member Jonas, Member Gaetjens, Member Green, Alternate Member Shifalo and Alternate Member Shoemaker. Member Foster joined the meeting via telecommunicating. Vice Chairman Petyk was absent. Also attending was Redevelopment Planner Tim Ford, Assistant City Attorney Chelsea Farrell, and Recording Secretary Laurie Dargie.

 

XXX

 

Member Foster motioned to approve the minutes from the August 3, 2020 meeting with a correction. Secretary Adams seconded. There was a unanimous voice vote.

 

XXX

 

Chairman Kiesel asked if the Historic Preservation Board members would move forward to item 6D: Special COA 3-2020 – 346 S. Washington Avenue proposed new building construction design review.

 

Chairman Kiesel passed the gavel to Secretary Adams to run this portion of the meeting as he recused himself from this item.

 

XXX

 

346 S. Washington Avenue – Special COA 3-2020 – Proposed new building construction design review

Edward Browder, PLA, ASLA Landscape Architect Manager with S&ME 1615 Edgewater Drive, Suite 200 Orlando, Florida joined the Historic Preservation Board meeting via teleconference to give a PowerPoint Presentation regarding the updated revisions of the proposed new building construction design of 346 S. Washington Avenue Titusville, Florida. Mr. Browder said he would recommend that the parapet wall be wrapped around the entire roof so that it looks aesthetically pleasing since there is a 4-foot variation on the roof. Mr. Browder said he appreciates the applicant making the recommended changes from the August 3, 2020 meeting.  Mr. Browder recommended to the Historic Preservation Board to move forward with approval, however if FDOT or the City does not approve the proposed balcony, that any changes be brought back to the Historic Preservation Board for review.

 

James Mutter, property owner, 1114 S. Washington Avenue Titusville, Florida came to speak in favor of this item.

 

Allen Kiesel, architect on the project, 213 Broad Street Titusville, Florida came to speak in favor of this item. Mr. Kiesel said he does not believe that the roof variation is 4 feet. Mr. Kiesel said he did calculations and the variation in the roof slope is only 12 to 14 inches. Mr. Kiesel said that they did not want to have the parapet wall wrapped all the way around the roof because it can potentially cause issues with roof leaks.

 

Member Gaetjens asked if the cupula is grounded.

 

Derek Barger, contractor on project, 1415 Crest Drive Titusville, Florida came to speak in favor of this item. Mr. Barger said the cupula has a plastic base and does not need to be grounded.

 

Member Shifalo said she likes the proposed plan and would like to see the Historic Preservation Board approve this and for the project to move forward.

 

Member Foster said she appreciates the applicant making the changes that were recommended at the previous meeting. Member Foster said she agrees with Mr. Browder’s suggestion regarding awnings over the windows on the south side of the building.

 

Member Foster asked what will be done to the balcony if it is not approved by FDOT, will it be adjusted or removed. Mr. Kiesel said the balcony will not be removed but made compliant.

 

Member Foster said that she would like to see the parapet wall completely around the roof if there is a 4-foot variation but if it is only 12 to14 inches she would be okay with it as proposed.

 

Member Foster said that she would like to see two windows on the back of the building on the second floor.

 

XXX

 

Member Foster made a motion to approve COA #3-2020 with the following two conditions: 1. If the balcony overhangs are not permitted by FDOT and the City, the revised plans will be brought back for the Historic Preservation Board’s review. 2. Staff will review the permit plans to ensure that the roof pitch is 12 to 14 inches in slope and if not, the plans will be brought back for the Historic Preservation Board’s review. Member Gaetjens seconded.

 

Roll call was as follows:

 

Secretary Adams                    Yes

Member Green                        Yes

Member Gaetjens                    Yes

Member Jonas                         Yes

Member Shifalo                      Yes

Member Shoemaker                Yes

Member Foster                        Yes

 

Motion Passed.

 

XXX

 

Secretary Adams passed the gavel back to Chairman Kiesel.

 

XXX

 

Certificate of Appropriateness demolition code and application process

Member Foster said she read the Certificate of Appropriateness application from St. Petersburg and thought it was excellent.

 

Chairman Kiesel said the City of Titusville’s COA application process needs to be streamlined.

 

Member Foster said that the application process needs to be more inclusive and definitive. She would like to see more detailed information and detailed pictures. Member Foster suggested that the Historic Preservation Board explore the option of charging a fee to the applicant to recover some of the costs incurred when looking at COA’s and demolitions etc. Member Foster suggested a fee scheduled based upon the application type.

 

Chairman Kiesel said that he feels that the current code has everything that is needed but the application needs to be looked at and revised to streamline the process. Chairman Kiesel said he likes St. Petersburg’s COA application but thinks that it is very wordy and would like for the City of Titusville’s to be streamline. Chairman Kiesel said he does not want to make the application process too complicated and deter people from wanting to have interest in Historical structures

 

Member Foster said there is not an application process for new construction and there should be a definitive application process for this.

 

Secretary Adams asked if there is an application fee to demolish any structure. Mr. Ford said there are building permit fees that are paid.

 

Mr. Ford said that there are fees for a Special COA and a standard COA that the Historic Preservation Board is responsible to pay at this time. Mr. Ford said that any new fees would have to go before City Council for approval. Member Foster asked if the fees collected for COA’s etc. can be put back into the Historic Preservation Board’s budget. Mr. Ford said that he would have to find out more information about charging fees and where the money would go etc. Assistant City Attorney Farrell said all fees collected go into the General Fund and there would have to be an exception made to allow funds to be directed into a specific account. Assistant City Attorney Farrell said she is unsure if this would be allowed and would have to find out more information regarding this.

 

Assistant City Attorney Farrell said she wanted to answer a question that was brought up by Secretary Adams about permit fees. Assistant City Attorney Farrell said that the permit fees according to the code are based on the value of construction that the applicant lists on the permit application. She said that the permit fee starts at $80.00 and increases depending on the value.

 

Mr. Ford said he believes he understands the Historic Preservation Board’s desire to review and make changes to the application process and he will research the questions about charging fees.

 

Member Gaetjens said he is not at all for charging fees to the applicants. He feels that this would hinder the applicants and the Historic Preservation Board wants to encourage citizens to designate.

 

Chairman Kiesel said he is not opposed to charging a small fee to help recover costs.

 

Secretary Adams said he agrees with needing to update the application. The St. Petersburg’s COA application spells out exactly what is needed and that is what the City of Titusville’s application needs to do is be clearer as to what is needed by the Board. Secretary Adams said this will help put the burden on the applicant to provide the exact information that the Historic Preservation Board is looking for upfront.

 

Member Foster asked if timeframes can be established so that structures are not sitting in disrepair after being approved. Mr. Ford said this is not part of a COA. Member Foster said she is concerned about 723 Palm Avenue.

 

Mr. Ford said only the structures that are locally designated or in the Downtown District come before the Historic Preservation Board for review.

 

Chairman Kiesel said the Historic Preservation Board can not force a property owner to designate or repair their property.

 

Mr. Ford said he will work on revising the applications for a more definitive process on new construction, demolition, and alterations. Mr. Ford said he will utilize the information from St. Petersburg and other municipalities.  Mr. Ford said he will also do research regarding charging fees.

 

XXX

 

Demolition by Neglect – Letters sent to property owners in Downtown

Mr. Ford said he sent out letters which were included in the agenda packet. Mr. Ford said he did not receive any response from anyone who was sent a letter. Mr. Ford suggested that one of the Historic Preservation Board members might want to try and make contact. Chairman Kiesel said he would be willing to meet with the property owners if Staff would send an e-mail invite to see if the property owners are willing to meet with him.

 

XXX

 

Member Foster made a motion to recommend that Chairman Kiesel reach out to the property owners of Baldwin Plaza if they agree to meet with him. Secretary Adams seconded. There was a unanimous voice vote in favor.

 

XXX

 

 

New Business

 

Grant Agreement #21.h.sm.300.051 State of Florida Department of State Division of Historic Resources

Mr. Ford said that the grant was approved and the Historic Preservation Board needs to approve this to go to City Council for their approval to move forward. Mr. Ford said that the grant money would have to be used to hire a Historian to do the work but that the Historic Preservation Board would be involved with review of the information etc.

 

XXX

 

Member Foster made a motion to recommend approval and asking it go before City Council for their approval. Secretary Adams seconded. There was a unanimous voice vote in favor.

 

 

XXX

 

Reports

 

Historic Preservation Board’s rules and procedures

Assistant City Attorney Farrell went over her PowerPoint presentation that was provided in the agenda packet.

 

Member Foster asked if a Historic Preservation Board member can send an e-mail to Staff with information that they would like to share with the other board members. Assistant City Attorney Farrell said that information can be sent to Staff to review and they can decide whether it would be appropriate to share with the rest of the Historic Preservation Board members.  Assistant City Attorney Farrell said that their personal opinions about what they want to share should not be shared in an e-mail form and should only be shared during the public meeting. She said Staff can decide if the information that is sent should or should not be shared before the meetings.

 

Mr. Ford asked Assistant City Attorney Farrell to explain if the Historic Preservation Board members can make onsite visits of structures/properties that are coming before the Board for review/discussion. Assistant City Attorney Farrell said that the members should only visit the site as individuals and only if they have permission from the property owner to visit the site.

 

Chairman Kiesel advised that if any of the Board members has a doubt or question about Sunshine Law to reach out to Assistant City Attorney Farrell.

 

XXX

 

Mr. Ford gave a brief overview of the Historic Preservation Board’s budget.

 

XXX

 

Member Shifalo said she has tried numerous times to reach the property owner of 1002 Indian River Avenue with no success.

 

XXX

 

Member Shoemaker asked when the Raleigh, North Carolina meeting will be rescheduled. Mr. Ford said he has not heard yet but will let the Historic Preservation Board members know when he has that information.

 

XXX

 

Adjournment 3:03pm