August 3, 2020 Minutes

The Historic Preservation Board (HPB) of the City of Titusville, Florida met in regular session in the Council Chamber at City Hall, located at 555 South Washington Avenue on Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.

 

XXX

 

Chairman Kiesel called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m.  Present were Vice Chairman Petyk, Secretary Adams, Alternate Member Shifalo and Alternate Member Shoemaker. Member Foster joined the meeting via telecommunicating. Member Jonas, Member Green and Member Gaetjens were absent. Also attending was Redevelopment Planner Tim Ford and Recording Secretary Laurie Dargie. Assistant City Attorney joined the meeting via telecommunicating.

 

XXX

 

Member Shoemaker motioned to approve the minutes from the July 6, 2020 meeting. Secretary Adams seconded. There was a unanimous voice vote.

 

XXX

 

Chairman Kiesel asked if the Historic Preservation Board members would move forward to item 7E: Special CPA 3-2020 – 346 S. Washington Avenue proposed new building construction design review.

 

Chairman Kiesel passed the gavel to Vice Chairman Petyk to run this portion of the meeting as he recused himself from this item.

 

XXX

 

New Business

 

346 S. Washington Avenue – Special COA 3-2020 – Proposed new building construction design review

Edward Browder, PLA, ASLA Landscape Architect Manager with S&ME 1615 Edgewater Drive, Suite 200 Orlando, Florida came to give a PowerPoint Presentation regarding his review of the proposed new building construction design of 346 S. Washington Avenue Titusville, Florida.

 

James Mutter, property owner, 1114 S. Washington Avenue Titusville, Florida came to speak in favor of this item.

 

Allen Kiesel, architect on the project, 213 Broad Street Titusville, Florida came to speak in favor of this item. Mr. Kiesel answered some of the questions regarding the incompatible items from Mr. Browder’s presentation.

 

Member Foster asked what the back of the building will look like. Mr. Kiesel said it is essentially blank with a door, like the previous building was.

Member Foster said she would like to see a site plan and conceptual plans from the south side and front side. Mr. Kiesel said the new building will sit on the property exactly as the previous building.

 

Mr. Browder asked Mr. Kiesel what he plans to do with the balcony if FDOT does not approve it. Mr. Kiesel said they will keep the balcony but have less of an overhang.

 

Mr. Browder asked what the cupola will look like. Mr. Kiesel said it will be copper and a conceptual design was provided in the agenda packet.

 

Vice Chairman Petyk asked if anything has been submitted to FDOT for approval yet. Mr. Kiesel said not yet.

 

Secretary Adams asked if there was anything that was saved from the prior building. Mr. Kiesel said that a door frame and a sink were saved and the owner would like to incorporate these items into the new building somehow.

 

Member Foster asked if the staircase is compliant with the fire codes. Mr. Kiesel said yes.

 

Secretary Adams asked where signage will be placed on the building. Mr. Kiesel said there will be no signage attached to the building structure. The owner will put signage in the windows.

 

Derek Barger, contractor on project, 1415 Crest Drive Titusville, Florida came to speak in favor of this item. Mr. Barger requested that the Historic Preservation Board would move forward with approving this item so that the project isn’t delayed any longer.

 

Mr. Kiesel asked if the Historic Preservation Board would consider approving the item to move forward with a condition that all requested documentation and information is provided.

 

XXX

 

Member Foster made a motion to table this item until the September 1, 2020 meeting to allow time to receive more documentation. Motion dies due to the lack of a second.

 

XXX

 

Member Shoemaker said she understands the reasoning for wanting to continue this item so that the Historic Preservation Board has a full understanding of the project.

 

Vice Chairman Petyk said a site plan would be very important to review and asked how long it would take to get a site plan.

 

Mr. Kiesel said a condition could be made to require that all of the requested documentation be submitted to the Historic Preservation Board for review.

 

Vice Chairman Petyk said she does not want to hold up the project but feels that having all of the information is important.

 

Assistant City Attorney Farrell read Section 29-119 of the code regarding Certificate of Appropriateness. Mr. Kiesel asked if this could be approved with conditions. Assistant City Attorney Farrell said yes but it would make it complicated.

 

Mr. Kiesel asked Mr. Browder if he has a certain comfort level regarding the plan. Mr. Browder said he would like to see the cross sections of the windows and doors and a site plan to be comfortable.

 

XXX

 

Member Foster made a motion to table this item until the September 1, 2020 Historic Preservation Board meeting to allow the owner to provide more documentation for the Historic Preservation Board to review before giving approval. Member Shifalo seconded.

 

Roll call was as follows:

 

Secretary Adams                    Yes

Vice Chairman Petyk              Yes

Member Shifalo                      Yes

Member Shoemaker                Yes

Member Foster                        Yes

 

Motion Passed.

 

XXX

 

Vice Chairman Petyk passed the gavel back to Chairman Kiesel.

 

XXX

 

Old Business

 

Demolition by Neglect – Downtown building survey

Chairman Kiesel asked the Historic Preservation Board members how they would like to proceed with reaching out to property owners regarding their structures that may need attention. Chairman Kiesel said that in the past letters were mailed to the owners.

 

Chairman Kiesel said he would suggest looking at the properties in the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) because of the grant opportunities available.

Member Foster asked Mr. Ford if he was aware of any structures in particular that were in need of repair or that have code violations. Mr. Ford said he would have to check with Code Enforcement because he is not aware of any code violations.

 

Member Foster said she is concerned about the structures from Main Street to Broad Street and asked if the CRA was working on improvements to that block. Mr. Ford said he is not aware of the CRA working on anything in this area. Member Foster suggested sending letters to the property owners in this area.

 

Member Foster asked if there were any local designations in the downtown. Mr. Ford said he wasn’t aware of any. Member Foster suggested sending letters to the owners regarding getting locally designated and that there are potential grant opportunities available.

 

Member Shifalo suggested offering an in person visit from one of the Historic Preservation Board members to answer questions and give more information in person for a personal approach.

 

Secretary Adams asked if the American Space Museum is on the list. Mr. Ford said that non-profits are not eligible for grant money towards interior but could be eligible for façade grant money. Mr. Ford said he would read the grant guidelines.

 

Mr. Ford said he would prepare and send letters to the property owners that were discussed.

 

XXX

 

Demolition procedures

Member Foster said she is very displeased on how the demolition process took place at 346 S. Washington Avenue. Member Foster said the biggest objection was there was no visual evidence to support demolition of the structure. Member Foster said this is a lesson learned and, in the future, the Historic Preservation Board needs to require more documentation. Member Foster also suggested that the applicant be responsible for paying for the documentation.

 

Member Shoemaker said she agrees with Member Foster. Member Shoemaker said the application process needs to be spelled out better.

 

Mr. Ford said it is a lesson learned and the Historic Preservation Board can require more documentation before approving.

 

Member Shifalo said she did visit the structure and the documentation that was provided to the Historic Preservation Board for review did not sufficiently give the details as to how bad the structure was. However, Member Shifalo said because of her site visit, she was comfortable with her vote to approve the demolition of the structure.

 

Chairman Kiesel said he feels that the Historic Preservation Board members are in agreement that they would like a more comprehensive checklist for future demolitions. Chairman Kiesel stated that in the future if any Historic Preservation Board member has any misgivings they need to speak up and voice their concerns. The member needs to know they can vote yes or no and also motion to continue an item if they don’t feel that there is sufficient documentation.

 

Member Foster would like to discuss in detail changing the application process. Chairman Kiesel said there needs to be concrete Certificate of Appropriateness guidelines.   Mr. Ford suggested that the Historic Preservation Board members each take the time to review the code and the guidelines from the other municipalities regarding Certificate of Appropriateness.

 

Chairman Kiesel advised the Historic Preservation Board to review pages 36 and 37 of today’s agenda packet and review the City of Titusville’s code and come prepared to discuss this in detail at the September 1, 2020 Historic Preservation Board meeting.

 

XXX

 

 

Historic Preservation Board annual workshop discussion

Mr. Ford said that he did check on the availability of the meeting locations based on the dates that were discussed at the July Historic Preservation Board meeting. Mr. Ford said that the Harry T. Moore Center is available on October 20, 2020, however he was informed that it is very limited as to how many can attend due to covid-19. Mr. Ford said that the Council Chamber is also available on October 22, 2020 but again it would be limited to how many can attend. Mr. Ford said that the Historic Preservation Board might want to consider changing the workshop to the spring in hopes that the restrictions will change and there will not be a limit on people who can attend.

 

Mr. Ford said that a representative from Raleigh, NC would be willing to do a virtual presentation to the Historic Preservation Board members on any of the following dates/times. August 26th 9am-2pm, August 28th 10am-12pm, August 31st 1pm-4pm and September 4th 11am or 3pm.  The Historic Preservation Board members decided that they would like to have the virtual presentation on August 31, 2020 at 1:00pm.

 

Mr. Ford said he is waiting to hear back from Vicki Oldham with regards to the cost of the visit etc. but she is very excited to attend the workshop.

 

Member Foster said that she would agree with Mr. Ford about moving the workshop to the spring in hopes that there would be no limit on the number of people who can attend. Member Foster said she believes this will be a very well attended workshop. Member Shifalo agrees to postpone the workshop.  

 

XXX

 

 

 

Secretary Adams made a motion to table this item until the January 2021 Historic Preservation Board meeting so that discussion can resume to plan for a springtime workshop. Member Shifalo seconded. There was a unanimous voice vote in favor.

 

XXX

 

Chairman Kiesel asked that Mr. Ford contact Ms. Oldham and let her know of the Historic Preservation Board’s desire to postpone the workshop so it can be better attended.

 

Secretary Adams asked Mr. Ford to ask Ms. Oldham what month might be best for her schedule in the spring.

 

XXX

 

Reports

 

Mr. Ford gave a brief overview of the reports that were included in the agenda packet.

 

Mr. Ford said he did not receive any response from the homeowner at 1002 Indian River Avenue after sending the letter. Member Shifalo asked if she could try and personally contact the owner to talk with them about being locally designated.

 

XXX

 

Member Shoemaker made a motion approving Member Shifalo to contact the owner of property 1002 Indian River Avenue Titusville, Florida on behalf of the Historic Preservation Board to talk to them about becoming locally designated.

 

XXX

 

Member Shifalo said she did attend the Florida Trust Conference virtually.

 

XXX

 

Adjournment 3:45pm