February 3, 2020 Minutes

The Historic Preservation Board (HPB) of the City of Titusville, Florida met in regular session in the Council Chamber on the second floor of City Hall, located at 555 South Washington Avenue on Monday, February 3, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.

 

XXX

 

Chairman Kiesel called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m.  Present were Vice Chairman Petyk, Secretary Adams, Member Foster, Member Gaetjens, Member Green, Member Jonas, and Alternate Member Shifalo. Also attending was Redevelopment Planner Tim Ford, Planning Manager Brad Parrish and Recording Secretary Laurie Dargie

 

XXX

 

Secretary Adams motioned to approve the minutes from the January 6, 2020 meeting. Alternate Member Shifalo seconded. There was a unanimous voice vote.

 

XXX

 

Old Business

 

Gibson-Rivers interpretive display board proof

Mr. Ford said that he reviewed the proof and found some errors that needed to be corrected. The Historic Preservation Board members took a few minutes to review the proof and discussed several things that needed to be corrected such as typos, wording changes and text formatting. Mr. Ford made notes of these changes and will have the proof updated. 

 

Chairman Kiesel requested that an updated proof be brought back to the March 2, 2020 Historic Preservation Board meeting to review.

 

XXX

 

Review and approve the Titusville Historic Landmarks brochure proof

Alternate Member Shifalo brought up that the Gibson-Rivers designation #12 did not get put on the map in the brochure.

 

The Historic Preservation Board members would like for the Gibson-Rivers name to be consistently used throughout the brochure, display board, and reports. Mr. Ford will make sure that it is hyphenated the same way throughout all of the materials.

 

XXX

 

Secretary Adams made a motion to approve the Titusville Historic Landmarks brochure with the discussed corrections. Member Foster seconded. There was a unanimous voice vote in favor.

 

XXX

 

Historic Neighborhood Conservation Districts as a historic preservation tool

Mr. Ford gave an update regarding this item. Mr. Ford said that basically the neighborhood would like to keep the character of the neighborhood but not be given strict regulations as to what they can and can not do to their structures.

 

Mr. Ford said they reached out to Environmental Services Inc. (ESI) as requested by the Historic Preservation Board to see if they could give a presentation regarding Conservation Districts. Mr. Ford provided a handout with the response from ESI for the Historic Preservation Board to review.

 

Mr. Ford also said information was included in the agenda regarding the request for Staff to reach out to Sarasota, Florida and Raleigh, North Carolina because they have implemented Conservation Districts. Mr. Ford said he did not receive a response from Sarasota but was told that Raleigh would be able to talk to the Historic Preservation Board via telephone if needed.

 

Chairman Kiesel said before the Historic Preservation Board puts too much time into this, he would like to know if the Neighborhood is really interested. He said their desire to conserve the character of the neighborhood without regulations doesn’t seem compatible.  

 

Mr. Ford said that the NSRA plan that Ms. Franklin is working on with the neighborhood isn’t being presented until the spring of 2021. Therefore, there is time for the Historic Preservation Board to get more information and meet with the community if desired. Mr. Ford said there is a mistrust between the community and the city.

 

The Historic Preservation Board discussed the need for education regarding what it takes to preserve and protect neighborhoods and structures.

 

Member Foster suggested that the Historic Preservation Board discuss and decide what they would like to see within the Conservation District guidelines and then educate the community.

 

Mr. Parrish said this process will take time because the community needs to be involved to find out what they want and then see what would be the best plan of action to meet the desires of the community and the Historic Preservation Board.

 

Member Foster said the handout she gave with regards to her comments on the Conservation Districts is very thorough. She would suggest that the community is asked what they would like for infill and street scaping etc.

 

Chairman Kiesel asked if there can be GIS data gathered to show the neighborhood inventory to see what the current character of the neighborhood is. Mr. Parrish said this can be provided.

 

Member Foster would like to see a map of the area.

 

Toni Shifalo owner of the Norwood House said she is a part of this community and she believes that the education is very important and highly recommends having community meetings. Ms. Shifalo also suggested that the Historic Preservation Board be involved in the tree ordinance as it relates to preserving historic trees and wetlands.

 

The Historic Preservation Board would like to gather more data on the neighborhood and consider having future workshops with the community. Mr. Parrish said that Staff will work on gathering more information and bring it to the March 2, 2020 meeting. Mr. Parrish informed the Historic Preservation Board that the grant cycle is approaching in the spring for submittals if the Board would like to submit for grant money.

 

Chairman Kiesel said that he would like to review the information at the next meeting and work on putting a presentation together, and then getting the community together to view the presentation.

 

XXX

 

New Business

None

 

XXX

 

Reports

 

Mr. Parrish went over the demolition report provided in the agenda. 

 

Member Foster asked what are the specific reasons for the demolitions. Mr. Parrish said he was not sure for each reason but he could find out. 

 

Member Jonas brought up the demolition that recently took place on Indian River Avenue and asked why was it allowed to be demolished. Member Foster said that she requested a copy of the permits for the demolition of that house and there were building plans that were also submitted. Member Foster asked what was required to get the demolition permit. Mr. Parrish said a demolition permit can be pulled on its own, there is no requirement for building plans to be submitted at the same time as a demolition permit. 

 

Chairman Kiesel would like for something to be in place to allow the Historic Preservation Board more time to reach out to the property owner to either have time to document the structure or be allowed to salvage items before demolition.

Secretary Adams suggested that this be brought up as an action item on the March 2, 2020 Historic Preservation Board agenda. 

 

Member Foster would like to know what the process and procedures are for getting a demolition permit. 

 

Member Foster said she would like to make sure that the Master Site Files be updated when demolitions take place.

 

Secretary Adams asked Staff if they would request that the Building Official attend the next Historic Preservation Board meeting to answer questions about building/demolition permits. 

 

XXX

 

Mr. Ford informed the Historic Preservation Board that there is another opportunity for Certified Local Government (CLG) training on February 13, 2020 at 6:00pm. The information was given as a handout to each Board member. 

 

Member Foster asked why 8 S. De Leon Avenue was being demolished. Mr. Parrish said the property owner is looking to expand his business. Mr. Parrish said he will get more information regarding this property and bring it to the March 2, 2020 meeting. Mr. Parrish said this structure is not protected and is not on any surveys.

 

Chairman Kiesel said that the Historic Preservation Board might want to consider applying for grant money to update the 1987 survey.

 

Adjournment 2:45 p.m.